House FloorSenate Floor • U.S. Capitol: 202-224-3121
MembersCommitteesPrayerRecordNewsToday

March 31, 2011

America's Rising Energy Prices

[Page: H2045]  GPO's PDF 

---

The SPEAKER pro tempore. The Chair recognizes the gentleman from Michigan (Mr. Walberg) for 5 minutes.

Mr. WALBERG. Mr. Speaker, I rise today to talk about a topic that affects every American, rising energy prices. I've spoken on this floor about it before, and I will continue to do so until we increase our energy production here in America, and our dependence on the political earthquake zones of this world is depleted.

While President Obama was traveling in South America, I returned home to my district last week, and I heard from my constituents loud and clear: Gas prices are too high. We need to do something about it. That's why I found it so outrageous and appalling when I heard our President last week offering assistance and encouraging energy production, not here in America, but in Brazil.

No, that's not the right direction. We need to encourage energy production right here at home, not Brazil. We need to develop our offshore energy resources so that jobs can be created here in America, not Brazil. And we need to encourage energy independence so that we return to more reasonable energy costs, not in Brazil, but right here in America.

Mr. Speaker, the time is now to confront this issue and encourage energy exploration and production right here at home. The time is now to create our independence from foreign energy sources and secure our present and future as good stewards of our God-given resources and the blessings of liberty.

(House of Representatives - March 30, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive