House FloorSenate Floor • U.S. Capitol: 202-224-3121
MembersCommitteesPrayerRecordNewsToday, Week

May 4, 2011

Alabama Impacted by the April 27, 2011, Storm

[Page: H2938]  GPO's PDF 

---

The SPEAKER pro tempore. The Chair recognizes the gentlewoman from Alabama (Mrs. Roby) for 5 minutes.

Mrs. ROBY. Mr. Speaker, last week my home State of Alabama faced the worst natural disaster in the history of the State. My immediate thoughts go out to the families impacted by the storm, as well as my thanks to the men and women on the ground assisting in recovery efforts. As of May 1, the Alabama Emergency Management Agency has confirmed 250 fatalities in Alabama from the April 27 storm.

Although the Second Congressional District dodged the full force of the storm, Elmore County sustained significant damage and, tragically, the loss of six lives. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of those who lost loved ones.

Since the storm, I have had the opportunity to tour the affected areas in my district and meet with the hardworking men and women working on recovery efforts.

Working quickly with Governor Bentley and the Alabama delegation, we requested shortly after the storm for the President to sign a major disaster declaration, which I am grateful that he immediately did.

Over the next coming months, I will continue to work with the Governor, the Alabama delegation, and the administration to ensure that critical resources and assistance is getting to those impacted by this horrific disaster.

Once again, the citizens of Alabama are in my thoughts and my prayers for them to get through such a difficult time.

(House of Representatives - May 3, 2011)


House holds moment of silence for victims of natural disasters in southern states
The House late Tuesday afternoon held a moment of silence for the victims of natural disasters in southern states.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive