House FloorSenate Floor • U.S. Capitol: 202-224-3121
MembersCommitteesPrayerRecordNewsToday, Week

May 4, 2011

Commending the Navy SEALs

[Page: S2601]  GPO's PDF 

---

Mr. CARPER. Mr. President, I want to start off today--I did not plan on saying this; I am here to talk about small businesses and how to incentivize job creation and job preservation--but before I do that, I want to take a moment of personal privilege to talk about the Navy SEALs.

I am a retired Navy captain. I spent about 23 years of my life as a naval flight officer. Before that, I was a midshipman, a Navy ROTC midshipman out of Ohio State. We would do our summer tours as midshipmen being trained to be junior naval officers. One of our tours was down at Little Creek, where we learned a little bit about storming the beaches of Virginia and we learned how to become marines, or pretended we were. We also, later on, I guess as a lieutenant JG at Coronado, before we went over to Southeast Asia, had a chance to see--in both places, both the Little Creek Naval Station and over at the Coronado, North Island Naval Station--the Navy SEALs train. I remember talking with some of my compadres who were going through training with us, saying: We would not want to mess with those guys--and for good reason.

They have made us proud. They have taken on an incredibly difficult task and I think handled themselves splendidly, and I want to start off today saying how proud we are of them.

(Senate - May 3, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive