House FloorSenate Floor • U.S. Capitol: 202-224-3121
MembersCommitteesPrayerRecordNewsToday

May 6, 2011

Expressing Support for the Recovery Efforts in North Carolina

[Page: H3066]  GPO's PDF 

---

(Mr. BUTTERFIELD asked and was given permission to address the House for 1 minute.)

Mr. BUTTERFIELD. Mr. Speaker, I rise today to express appreciation for the good work on the part of local emergency responders, FEMA, the Division of Emergency Management, the American Red Cross, and the many other agencies that have been helping survivors in my congressional district recover from the devastating tornados that hit North Carolina on April 16.

I represent, Mr. Speaker, one of the hardest hit communities, Bertie County, where 12 people lost their lives, 50 were injured, and dozens are now homeless. I am grateful that President Barack Obama was very quick to announce that 19 counties were eligible for Federal disaster assistance, and the hard work toward recovery is now under way. More than 4,700 people in North Carolina have applied for State and Federal disaster assistance. We are a generous and resilient people, and I know we will recover.

Mr. Speaker, I ask that my colleagues join me in applauding the recovery efforts and in expressing deep sorrow for the victims and their families.

(House of Representatives - May 5, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive